Wednesday, February 16, 2011

16 things for you...

There are countless things that remind me of you. Unfortunately I don't know all of them, in fact I likely don't know most of them. This inevitably means that I end up being taken wholly by surprise memories on idle days far away from you. Anyway, I do know some and the 16th will always be one of them. Well played on that, by the way; a day a month for you, forever.

Below are 16 pictures. They remind me of things which remind me of you. There is no particular order...

1. Shakespeare and Company.


This is obviously so much more than just the shop; Paris, bohemian artists, good poetry, early 20th century books -- all of these things remind me of you.

2. Bob Dylan
'Just Like a Woman' and this album cover in particular.

3. Trains. Really.

Yep. Every time I see real trains I think of our amazing sleeping carriage heaven.

4. Mrs. Dalloway.
Both the person and the book.


5. Penguins.D'uh (but don't you love how independent and tough this one is?)


6. Leonard Cohen


I love his poem 'The Song' and that more than any other (with the possible exception of Famous Blue Raincoat) is the work I associate with you most.

7. The work of Arthur Rackham


It's all so beautifully drawn. It reminds me of when I was a kid and everything was magical and impressive. You have an astounding capacity to make me feel like anything is possible. Anything at all.

8. Anything remotely sexy (or related to reading, I s'pose)

(this one is a little self-explanatory)

9. So many movies...
10. Dubliners.This was the very first present that I ever bought for you. Not this one exactly, you understand.

11. Almost all Helmut Newton photographs.

12. The two women having a laugh.If this isn't us already, if better be us in the future! You mark my words, Beckett.

13. xkcd (only the nice ones though)Like this one.

14. GladiolaFor reasons I have mentioned before. It's a memory I love.

15. Giles Norman photography
Again, I will always keep my Norman photograph close to hand.

16. The Long LibraryIt's one of my very favourite places now. Thank you for bringing me there on my last day. It meant a lot.

I will remember these things for the rest of my life. And you, naturally. Happy 16th.

Yours, etc.


K

No comments:

Post a Comment